Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A Cornerstone Church - Bethel AME Church in Deland, FL

I needed to recharge after a particularly trying time dealing with my publisher (for those of you who intend to write and self-publish, see https://selfpublishingadvice.org/allis-self-publishing-service-directory/self-publishing-service-reviews/#listing-S first), so I went to Florida for a weekend visit with my uncle and aunts, who have been my guardian angels since I was knee-high to a duck.  What a lovely time we had!  By the way, my aunt (who is a genius) gave me the most indispensable assistance in resolving my publisher issues as well as pointing me in the right direction towards reaching potential readers of 'Cornerstone' in the Orlando metro area!

Thank you guys—we had tremendous fun!

The highlight of our visit to Florida was the blessing I received from Sunday's Eucharist celebration at my uncle's 'home-place' of worship—Bethel AME Church in Deland, FL!

The worship service was preceded by a 'spirited' Sunday School lesson, where I learned the difference between a disciple of Jesus and an apostle in Matthew 10, also referred to as the Mission Discourse or the Little Commission

A 'moving' and very well-delivered sermon by Rev. Reginald B. Johnson, Sr. warmed our hearts and fed our souls in the beautiful, recently renovated historical church.

Dr Wilbert Wilson Jr says:
(October 8, 2018 at 4:37 pm)  https://theoldchurchproject.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/bethel-ame-church-deland/

"Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, is DeLand Florida’s oldest established African American Congregation. It was founded in 1878 in the city of DeLand’s Historic District."

If you Google:   Bethel AME Church, DeLand, FL and click "See outside" on the picture that shows up as follows to get the most amazing 360 degree pictures of this beautifully restored landmark in the City of DeLand, Florida, the county seat of Volusia County:

A special thanks to the wonderful people from Bethel AME! I will come whenever I'm visiting Florida!

Go there and be blessed!  If you live in or near DeLand, FL, you have a 'gem' in your midst--think membership!


No comments:

Post a Comment